We provide counseling for individuals, couples, children and families.
We address issues of lifestyle, self image, abuse and neglect, domestic violence, addictions, divorce adjustment, child behavior problems, depression and anxiety disorders, grief and loss, post traumatic stress disorder and more.
The therapeutic approaches we use are:
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy – Discussion and guidance that focuses on life situations and relationships within family, social and work environments.
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy – This approach looks at and helps to change negative thought patterns and behaviors through various discussions and activities.
- Strength Based – Solution Focused Therapy – This approach targets the desired outcome of therapy as a solution rather than focusing on the symptoms or issues that brought someone to therapy. This technique only gives attention to the present and the future desires of the client, rather than focusing on the past experiences. The therapist encourages the client to imagine their future as they want it to be and then the therapist and client collaborate on a series of steps to achieve that goal.
- Non-Traditional Therapy with Adults – If you haven’t done well with traditional talk therapy, we offer alternative therapies that include, but are not limited to, the use of experiential play therapy, relaxation activities, guided imagery, sandplay, play therapy, art therapy and EMDR.
- Sandplay Therapy – Sandplay is an expressive display of different aspects of life. It is a dramatic form of play that is created with miniature images in the sand. Life stories are formed and explored. Traditionally, sandplay has been used by play therapists in working with children. However, sandplay is also a powerful tool in working with adults. It allows one to play, imagine and discover the self in non-threatening ways. It often moves unconscious thoughts and actions into the consciousness. It connects feelings and perceptions that can help individuals to be more self aware and purposeful.
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) – EMDR is used most often to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). EMDR is a form of psychotherapy to resolve trauma related disorders caused by distressing events such as abuse, rape, natural disasters, witnessing a disturbing event, violence and more. EMDR can also be used to treat other mental health diagnoses, stressors or behaviors. This type of therapy can be used with adults and children. To learn more about EDMR go to http://www.emdr.com or www.emdria.org
- Religious/Spiritual Practices – At your request we are prepared to incorporate all religious/spiritual practices. We believe that it is an individual choice as to how others express their belief systems and we can honor and integrate this into the therapeutic process.